Some of you may remember that we recently put together an eBook of 10 great cakes that you can make yourself at home for well under $20 ($5.95) with our good friend Sarah from The Sugar Hit. We have decided to share a few with you on the site to inspire you.
This cake is the perfect vehicle to take advantage of whatever fresh fruit is at it’s peak. Fruit in season is not only delicious, but it’s also less expensive. So in winter, use strawberries (they’re a winter crop in Queensland), in the autumn use plums and blackberries, in the summer use peaches and cherries, and so on.
- 1 x Vanilla Butter Cake (3 layers)
- 500g strawberries
- ½ cup (100g) caster sugar
- 2 cups (500ml) thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Bake the cakes, and once they are completely cool, use a serrated edge knife to trim the layers flat.
- Pick out 5-10 of the best looking strawberries, wash and set aside. Wash and remove the stalks from the remaining strawberries, and then chop into halves or quarters. Place them into a small bowl and sprinkle over 2 tbsp of sugar. Toss well, and then taste a strawberry – if they are very tart, add 1 tbsp more sugar. Cover with plastic and set aside.
- Place the cream and 3 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla into a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric whisk until the cream is thick and light, and fairly stiff – medium peaks. Be careful not to over-beat the cream.
- Place a dab of whipped cream onto a serving plate and use it to anchor the first layer of cake.
- Top the cake with half of the strawberries, making sure to push them right to the edge of the cake, and then top with a third of the whipped cream. Repeat with the remaining layers of cake and cream, finishing with a naked layer of whipped cream.
- Decorate with the reserved whole strawberries. Serves 10-16.
We even made a quick video to show you how 🙂
For more great cakes like this check out our eBook of 10 great cakes that you can make yourself at home for well under $20 ($5.95) with our good friend Sarah from The Sugar Hit.