My kids love beans and this recipe is a way to make them awesome at home.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, finely diced
- ½ medium brown onion, finely diced
- 400g tinned tomatoes, blended
- ¼ cup (65g) tomato paste (concentrated puree)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- 400g tin cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped curly parsley
- toasted rye or grain bread, for serving
- Heat a saucepan on medium to high heat with oil. Add garlic and onions. Sauté for 2 minutes, or until onions begin to change colour and golden.
- Add blended tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to low, add tomato paste, honey, water, cannellini beans and chopped parsley. Season with salt and stir until combined.
- Cover with lid and allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Hint: if using dried parsley, only use 1 teaspoon.
This recipe was from the fantastic cookbook My Secret Ingredient which is filled with over 120 delicious, healthy, achievable and creative recipes. It is a must for every home cook’s kitchen. Inside you will find recipes to cover every meal of the day – brekky, snacks, lunch, afternoon tea, soups, salads, sides, dinner and desserts. Recipes are quick and easy to prepare and made with easily accessible ingredients. Whether you’re feeding the family or entertaining guests, you will find the perfect recipes to choose from.
Emily Rose Brott is the author of Have Your Cake, a healthy baking cookbook, and Healthy Home Cooking for Kids.