Some of you may remember that we recently put together an eBook of 10 great cakes that you can make yourself at home for well under $20 ($5.95) with out good friend Sarah from The Sugar Hit. We have decided to share a few with you on the site to inspire you.
Salted Caramel Popcorn Cake
Salty and sweet! It’s an addictive combination. This recipe plays on the salty-savoury flavour of popcorn, contrasted with the buttery-sweet caramel. Perfect for older kids who are into more daring flavour combos.
- 1x Basic Vanilla Cake
- 1x Basic Vanilla Frosting
- 1x Jar of store-bought caramel
- 2 cups Lightly Salted Popped Popcorn (from ¼ cup unpopped kernels)
- Bake the cakes, and once they are completely cool, use a serrated edge knife to trim the layers flat.
- Place a dab of frosting on the cake stand or plate that you want to serve the cake on, and use it to anchor the first layer to the plate.
- Scrape just under a quarter of the icing onto the layer and spread out evenly, right to the edge of the cake. Top with 2 tbsp of caramel sauce, and swirl it into the frosting. Repeat with the second layer of cake, and then place the final layer on top.
- Pile the remaining icing onto the cake, and using a palette knife, spread it evenly over the top and down the sides of the cake. Go messily at first, and then once you have an even layer all over the cake, try to use long smooth motions with the knife to get an even finish. Go around the edges first, and then finish by smoothing off the top.
- Once the top is smooth, place in the fridge to firm up for about 30 minutes.
- Pour over about ½ cup of caramel, and use the palette knife to coax it to the edge of the cake, letting it drip down the sides.
- Pile the popcorn onto the top of the cake, making as high a pile as you can. Serves 10-16.
We even made a quick video so you can follow along 🙂
For more great cakes like this check out our eBook of 10 great cakes that you can make yourself at home for well under $20 ($5.95) with out good friend Sarah from The Sugar Hit.