This year we were lucky enough to test drive one of the Novotel Ekka packages and stay in the city for the night.
We checked in at lunchtime, got set and started the short 5min walk to Central Station where we boarded a restored steam train with the older carriages. This was a bit of a treat even before we arrived at the Show.
Since our tickets were included in the package we had no lining up and walked straight into the grounds to the familiar sounds and smells of the cattle returning from the judging ring. Our first priority was lunch so we went for the sit-down meals under the stadium to save some energy.
Next stop was the animal pavilion where with a short wait we were able to feed the animals and get close to others. This was a highlight for Miss 4 who just loved the piglets!
Our day progressed with the highlights being :
- the traditional strawberry ice-cream
- sideshow alley for some kids rides and show bags
- the arena for the Extreme show and fireworks.
Although getting a seat early was essential, I must say the fireworks and light show was the best I have ever seen. Miss 4 could not contain the joy of her first ever big fireworks.
A quick bus ride back to the city and walk to the station was super easy (although without the small child a taxi would have been even easier). It was great to be home so quickly and fun to get the kids to bed and enjoy the complementary ‘vino’ to debrief the day.
A full Buffet breaky and late 5pm checkout made the stay a real treat.
Ekka Survival Tips
- Buy tickets online – its cheaper and you can get them here
- Get Public Transport – after the evening program the trains are super busy but buses are empty
- Make a rough plan – download the map and info here
- Take water – stay hydrated and save money for the things you have to buy
- Some showbags have ride vouchers so you might save by buying them first
- The fireworks are amazing but get there by 6pm to get seats
- There are some chill out zones that are a good place to catch you breath. The Heritage Community Stage is a good one with lots of entertainment.
- There are some hands on kids activities in the Courier Mail Learning Centre
For more information on Accor’s Ekka packages and hotel room rates call 1300 65 65 65 or visit http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/