I just used Chocolate and Brownie in the same sentence!
Now I know you are listening … give this little gem a go for some easy home snacks. Probably keep the nuts away from the school.
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup (165ml) rice bran oil
- 120g 70% dark chocolate
- 2/3 cup (190g) honey
- ¾ cup (120g) wholemeal (whole-wheat) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ¼ cup (25g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- ½ cup (55g) chopped toasted pecans (refer to cooking tips)
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F) fan-forced.
- Beat eggs and oil together. Melt chocolate, and mix honey into the chocolate until dissolved. Add chocolate mixture to egg mixture, and beat.
- Mix in flour, almond meal and milk until combined.
- Stir in toasted chopped pecans.
- Grease a brownie tin (28cm × 18cm) with oil, and line base with baking paper. Pour mixture into tin, spreading it evenly, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Leave to cool in tin for 20 minutes before removing and leaving to cool further on a cake rack. Slice and serve.
Hint: As an alternative to pecans you can use toasted walnuts or macadamia nuts.
This recipe was from the fantastic cookbook My Secret Ingredient which is filled with over 120 delicious, healthy, achievable and creative recipes. It is a must for every home cook’s kitchen. Inside you will find recipes to cover every meal of the day – brekky, snacks, lunch, afternoon tea, soups, salads, sides, dinner and desserts. Recipes are quick and easy to prepare and made with easily accessible ingredients. Whether you’re feeding the family or entertaining guests, you will find the perfect recipes to choose from.
Emily Rose Brott is the author of Have Your Cake, a healthy baking cookbook, and Healthy Home Cooking for Kids.